Browse Items(47 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Carnegie Free Library"

Date: 1997

Date: 1970, 1984
Source: Parts 1-3 are from an unpublished Master's thesis by Margaret Ann Souza, The History of the Santa Cruz Public Library System, San Jose State College, August 1970. Part 4 is adapted from The History of Santa Cruz Public Library System, an unpublished manuscript.
The first Santa Cruz Carnegie Library (1904-1966), also known as the Main Library. It was designed by William H. Weeks. Andrew Carnegie donated a grant of $20,000 towards its construction. On the left is the Frederick A. Hihn Mansion which, at one…

Date: Undated
Andrew Carnegie at the railroad station in Santa Cruz, where he is being greeted by Santa Cruz officials. Later he paid a visit to the Santa Cruz Main Library, one of the four Carnegie libraries to be built in the area.

Date: 1910
Eastside Branch Library, located at 1263 Soquel Avenue, was designed by William H. Weeks. Opened in September 1921, it was the last of the four Carnegie Libraries built in Santa Cruz. It was closed and replaced by the Branciforte Library in 1967.

Date: 1923
The interior of Garfield Park Branch Library located at 705 Woodrow Avenue. Completed in 1915, it was the second of the four Carnegie libraries built in Santa Cruz. Over the fireplace is a painting by Frank Heath called Monterey Coast. Standing at…

Date: ca. 1922-1923
The cataloging department, in the basement of the 1904 Carnegie (Main) Library on Church Street. Left to right around the room: Kathy Jaynes, Joyce Tucker, Elizabeth Barnes, Virginia Hull, Vee Hestand, Thelma Anderson, Dorothy Clarke.

Date: February 1960
Yes on B -- Library Bonds' display in front of the ivy-covered Santa Cruz Carnegie library. The bonds were to fund construction of a replacement building, as the Carnegie library did not have sufficient storage or shelving. The bond measure failed in…

Date: 1964
View of the hall downstairs in the Carnegie Library, showing the crowded conditions. The Carnegie, or Main, Library was opened in 1904 and was demolished in 1966 to make way for a new, larger library.

Date: Prior to September 1966

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2