Front of the Salz Leathers building

The front of the historic Salz Leathers building remained unchanged for over 140 years. The lettering was more recent. It read in full, "A.K. Salz Company" and featured the company logo for "Salz California Saddle Leather." An unnamed employee stood in an upper window. The tannery was located along the San Lorenzo River on River Street/Highway 9, just north of Highway 1.

Source of information: Jeremy Lezin
Creator: Adams, Ansel
Date: 1954
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Santa Cruz (City)
  • 1950s
Rights: This photograph was taken by Ansel Adams and is the property of the Lezin Family. It is displayed here with the permission of the Lezin Family and the Ansel Adams Trust.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-aa-039

Citation

Adams, Ansel. “Front of the Salz Leathers building.” 1954. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/9965. Accessed 28 Nov. 2022.