Oil-burning "patent" kiln on the former Cowell Ranch

An oil-burning "patent" kiln on the former Cowell Ranch. Oil-fired kilns began to be used in the 1880's as timber became scarce. Two older pit style kilns are visible to the left of the "patent" kiln. This site is now part of the UCSC campus, near the Main Entrance.

Source of information: Notes on front of mounting of photo

Langenbach, leaves between pp. 9-10.
Date: ca. late 1950's
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Santa Cruz (County)
  • 1950s
Rights: This photograph/postcard is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-0578

Citation

“Oil-burning "patent" kiln on the former Cowell Ranch.” ca. late 1950's. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/9780. Accessed 22 Sep. 2020.