Lime kilns on the former Cowell Ranch

Limekilns on the former Cowell Ranch. The quarried limestone was dumped into the open pits from the path at the top. The square stone tower is an oil-burning "patent" kiln. This site, which was known as the "Lower Kilns was in use until 1946. It is now part of the UCSC campus, near the Main Entrance.

Source of information: Notes on front of mounting of photo

Langenbach. pp. 6-7, 9.
Date: late 1950's
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Santa Cruz (County)
  • 1950s
Rights: This photograph/postcard is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-0577

Citation

“Lime kilns on the former Cowell Ranch.” late 1950's. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/9779. Accessed 7 July 2020.