Davenport jail

The Davenport jail was built in 1914. Made entirely of cement from the nearby Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company, the walls are eight inches thick.The only known occupants were two boys from San Mateo who were held overnight for horse stealing and a drunk who was kept there until he sobered up. The building was given to the Santa Cruz County Society for Historic Preservation in 1979. It opened as a museum in December 1987.

Source of information: Alverda Orlando

Santa Cruz County Historical Trust

Koch. p. 76
Date: 1998
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Davenport
  • 1990s
Rights: This photograph is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-scpl005

Citation

“Davenport jail.” 1998. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/10227. Accessed 13 Aug. 2020.