Beach and cliffs near 17th Avenue, with the Santa Maria del Mar Hotel (Villa Maria del Mar)

View of the beach, waves and cliffs near 17th Avenue. The three-story building in the background is the Santa Maria del Mar Hotel, later known as Villa Maria del Mar. In April 1891, James Corcoran, Patrick Moran and Henry Johans donated land to the Catholic Ladies Aide Society to establish a resort for "Catholic women of restricted means." (Santa Cruz County. p. 59) To defray the costs of the building and grounds, the Hotel del Mar, as it was also known, was used a resort for paying guests during the summers, at least until 1896. The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary purchased it in 1963 as a retreat home.

Santa Maria Point (Black Point)

Source of information: Museum of Natural History

Santa Cruz County. pp. 59-60, Clark. pp. 236-237

Live Oak Folks. p. 21
Date: after 1891
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Live Oak
  • 1890s
  • 1900s
Rights: This photograph is courtesy of the Santa Cruz City Museum of Natural History.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-SCM104

Citation

“Beach and cliffs near 17th Avenue, with the Santa Maria del Mar Hotel (Villa Maria del Mar).” after 1891. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/10218. Accessed 19 May 2024.