Seabright Branch Library

In 1907, Minerva Waterman, at the urging of Seabright residents, asked the (Santa Cruz city) Library Board for permission to establish a branch library for the months of July, August, and September in the Seabright area. The Board agreed and on July 11, 1907, the branch opened. The Library consisted of a wooden base with a tent on top. The tent, from Tent City, was loaned by Fred Swanton. The base was a bit larger than the tent and the tent ripped in a few places. (see photo). The Library was located on Seabright Avenue where the electric cars turned from Seabright to Twin Lakes. Miss Waterman recommended Miss Cole to the Board as the librarian for the experiment--she may be the person in the photograph.

Source of information: Souza. p. 132-133.
Date: 1907
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Santa Cruz (City)
  • 1900s
Rights: This photograph/postcard is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-0668

Citation

“Seabright Branch Library.” 1907. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/9843. Accessed 20 Apr. 2024.