Cornerstone and time capsule ceremony

On September 12, 1966, the day before the Main Library was demolished, the original cornerstone was opened and the time capsule removed. John Byrne, library board member, is opening the box. Next to him is Geraldine Work, City-County Librarian. The box, made by Byrne Brothers of Santa Cruz, was put in place September 29, 1903. It included copies of the Santa Cruz Morning Sentinel (Sept. 29, 1903) and Santa Cruz Surf (Sept. 28, 1903), a 1902 guide to Santa Cruz, library rules and regulations, a patron registration book, a list of the 13,000 books in the Library's collection, and a 1903 Masonic Lodge directory for California.

Source of information: Santa Cruz Sentinel, September (n.d.) 1966.
Date: 1966-09-12
Type: PHOTO
Coverage:
  • Santa Cruz (City)
  • 1960s
Rights: This photograph is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-0656

Citation

“Cornerstone and time capsule ceremony.” 1966-09-12. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/9832. Accessed 18 July 2024.