Williamson and Garrett building

The Williamson and Garrett building, which was at 1547 Pacific Avenue. This two-story brick Italianate building was constructed in 1899 for the Williamson and Garrett grocery firm. The Santa Cruz Library was housed on the second floor from 1900 until it moved to the Carnegie Free Library in 1904. The building was occupied by Bookshop Santa Cruz from 1970 to 1989. It was severely damaged in the Loma Prieta earthquake and subsequently demolished.

Source of information: Sign in photo

Chase. p. 120

Articles on this Website, see links below.
Date: Undated
Type: PHOTO
Coverage: Santa Cruz (City)
Rights: This photograph/postcard is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Restrictions on Use
Identifier: LH-0580

Citation

“Williamson and Garrett building.” SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/9782. Accessed 7 May 2021.