Before the Civic Auditorium came the Armory

Originally the building was built as a place to have exhibitions and large meetings and was called the Pavilion. Later it was remodeled and used as the Armory for supporting the local armed forces and munitions storage and also to house the guards after the 1906 earthquake. A large fire burned the Armory down aided by the munitions stored there and the location eventually became the Civic Auditorium.
Creator: Margaret Koch
Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel
Date: Undated
Type: NEWS
Coverage:
  • Santa Cruz
  • 1980s
Identifier: FE-SC County-34

Citation

Koch, Margaret. “Before the Civic Auditorium came the Armory.” Santa Cruz Sentinel. SCPL Local History. https://history.santacruzpl.org/omeka/items/show/144269. Accessed 24 Aug. 2026.